Saturday, April 19, 2008

SSD performance

Continuing my investigation of SSD performance I've now installed Vista Business 32bit inc SP1 on my Latitude D600 with 32GB PATA Samsung SSD.

The results are a bit annoying... the machine feels much better running Vista than it did running XP and that's something I'm a bit embarrassed to admit to!

I haven't benchmarked it properly yet but so far there have been considerably less stutters that I experienced before and currently experience on the Precision M4300.

Given the 64bit driver problems I've been experiencing (mostly the 3 3G USB modem) I'm very tempted to install Win 2k8 Server on the M4300 and see how it gets on.

I'll be happily living without the Aero interface as I hate it - some of us have work to do - but given that 2k8 is working well on my Precision 690 workstation it's got to be worth a try.

Watch this space where I'll do some more formal performance analysis and benchmarking.

No comments: