Monday, January 28, 2008

Sage Line 50 on 64bit Windows

Well my 64bit laptop is gradually coming together - only a few more 64bit niggles to iron out and then it's fully up and usable.

The one I've solved today involves Sage Line 50 - and specifically the rather ancient version that I'm fully licensed for - v7.

The installers appear to be a 16bit app (is that possible?) and 16bit apps don't run at all on 64bit windows so that installer just starts setup.exe and does absolutely nothing.

Since I've done a fair bit of installshield work in the past I though the best route would be to monitor the install on a clean machine and reproduce the steps on the new laptop.

Using WinstallLE (from the Windows 2000 Server CD) I built an MSI but more importantly gathered the registry changes that were made during the installation. As always there were lots more than required so I trimmed out everything referencing parts of the registry that weren't relevant to the install.

In addition to the contents of the Line50 folder there are a bunch of files mostly matching SG*.dll in the system32 folder and also SW7*.dll which is the ODBC driver.

I copied these into the main installation folder and got a working Sage - but I knew that the hardest part would be to get the ODBC working.

It turns out that the ODBC driver was built against the MS VC RTL 2 so I copied that and also an unknown dll called MSIMTF.dll.

Once those dependencies were copied across (again into the Line50 folder) I was able to run the 32bit ODBC administrator which cunningly lives in c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe.

Unsurprisingly the ODBC driver wasn't yet registered which can be performed with the following statement:

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64>odbcconf INSTALLDRIVER "Sage Line 50 v7|Driver=c:\work\line50\SW7DBC32.dll|Setup=c:\work\line50\SW7DBC32.dll"

Where "c:\work\line50" is the installation folder.

And hey presto - a working Sage Line 50 complete with reports!

3 comments:

chunky said...

Hi, I cannot find SW7DBC32.DLL anywhere!! Where did you get this file from please??

chunky said...

ok Sorry...I found it BUT when I follow your example and go to add a SYSTEM DSN it gives me an error code 193 :( Would appriciate any help , thanks

CHIA, Chin Yau said...

Hello!

I have been looking for solution to access Sage a separate SQLserver 64 bit as linked server.

I have successfully installed the Sage ODBC connector on the SQLserver but am not able to configure since SQLserver ODBC driver for linked server required 64bit ODBC driver.

Just wonder if you have any suggestion..

thanks in advance