Saturday, January 26, 2008

LED Bulbs

The time has finally come when the GU10 halogen bulbs in the office have died and I've decided to replace them with LED bulbs.

The deciding bit is easy - the choosing and purchasing is much much harder.

I've ended up going for some that I found in a local DIY store - they are branded - Philips Deco - and are 1W "Warm White" retailing at £6.99 each.

They consist of 9 LED's within the GU10 package and run at 240V AC - according to a spec I finally located in German they appear to be 6000cn rated - which is obviously quite low - but as they're installed three at a time I though I'd give it a go.

Compared to the 3x 35W bulbs that were in there before the light being emitted is almost negligible but that's not really surprising - 105W vs 3W is a considerable power saving.

I've manged to burn through 3 of the existing halogen's in 12 months so it'll be interesting to see how these LED bulbs compare. They are rated between 5,000 and 100,000 hours so it would be nice to think that they'll easily outway they're initial cost.

I'm also considering some of the bulbs that screwfix.com supply - they do two varieties - a Halolite one at 1W and also a Sylvania one at 1.5W.

No comments: