Monday, August 13, 2007

CodeQuest's timesheet app now re-written in Flex

Well almost...

The bulk of the code is in place along with the ASP.Net web services that supply and manipulate the data behind the scenes.

It took me a very long time to get to grip with Flex's "Grid" layout components and I'm still not 100% happy with them. The great thing about Flex is how easy it is to get things up and running - and the boys who developed the framework really though about real-world scenario's rather than abstract usage. It really is a joy to use - if only they could make the compiler faster.

The grid layout (although being deprecated in v3 from what I've read) seemed ideal for setting out a simple calendar display - I just wanted a grid 7 columns wide by however many weeks there are in the month. I've set the "verticalGap" and "horizontalGap" both to zero and yet I still get a gap between my cells - I really don't want one! I've tried setting margins, padding and everything under the sun but still no joy. I've even searched through the source code to spot the missing property but no joy as yet.

While ranting a bit about Flex I may as well point out my inability to grasp Flex's UITextField. I simply can't get it to play nice - it loses lots of the formatting I apply to it unless I apply the styles to the UITextField's container control - which doesn't really make much sense but as long as it works I've better things to do that step through code within the framework.

There's just some layout code left to tidy up and then some work on making the timesheet even more intuitive to use.

We might even add management reports in addition to the individual's reports that we currently have.

No comments: