Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Installation of XP on Samsung 32GB SSD

Finally I've got enough work out of the way that I can install XP on my new SSD drive.

My current setup is a Dell Latitude with 100GB 7200RPM 2.5" disk + a 32GB Samsung SSD in the media bay. Using an external USB DVD drive I've installed XP onto the SSD.

Try as I might I couldn't get the laptop to recognise the SSD as the C: drive so the D: drive it is. I guess the advantage is that it's a parallel install to my previous XP which is on the actual C: drive and I can dual boot between them.

There's a couple of things I'm expecting to go wrong - lots of poorly written applications might assume a C: drive but so far so good and everything is behaving nicely.

There's a fair old software stack installed on my laptop and it's taken most of the day to tickle it along. The basics are Office 2k7, Visual Studio 2k8 beta, SQL server 2k5, Oracle 10g, Firefox + add-ons, IE + add-ons, Sharpreader, Eclipse, FlexBuilder 2.01, Flexbuilder 3 beta, TortoiseSVN... the list just goes on and on - and that's not even including all the patches.

The SSD drive itself is lovely and quick - things like Eclipse jump into life especially when you can see it (or rather not see it!) scanning through the plug-ins.

A couple of apps have proven their flexbility:

Firefox - I was able to copy my profile from the C: drive straight into my profile on the D: drive and all of my favourites, history, usernames etc have come straight across.

Likewise wth Sharpreader - copying the folder from my old profile into my new one has brought across everything I'd hoped for.

Even Skype played nice which was a surprise and once again copying the contents of my profile has brought across everything including the chat histories which I find invaluable.

No comments: